Every woman has a specific beauty routine that works for them and I’m certainly no different. I’ve found most women complain about the dryness of their skin, whereas, I have the opposite problem. My skin is an oil slick. One wrong move with my hand and I can wipe off my eyebrow or eyeliner and look like Captain Hook. For those interested, I’ve filtered my beauty routine down to 5 key components with a list of products I use on a daily basis.
1. WATER. The most important aspect of my beauty regimen is water. You read that right. Water, water, and more water. I drink very little other than water, unless I’m at a social function. I really make a concerted effort to drink at least 2 liters (2 quarts) a day. Granted, I’m running to the bathroom to empty my bladder, but I also know I’m flushing toxins and impurities out of my body. When I consume at least 8 glasses of water a day, I notice my skins looks and feels more youthful and radiant. Fine lines are less noticeable and my skin feels supple and smooth.
2. SLEEP. Never underestimate the power of a good night’s sleep. 6-8 hours is the magic number for me. When I get adequate sleep, I look less tired (for obvious reasons) and my skin looks revitalized and refreshed. Research has shown that lack of sleep contributes to the aging process because it causes a disruption with two hormones: cortisol and growth hormone. Lack of sleep causes cortisol to increase and growth hormone to decrease, which is responsible for maintaining moisture. In addition, when cortisol increases, collagen production decreases, leading to thinning skin and wrinkles.
3. SUNSCREEN. Most of my make up and moisturizers come with SPF in them. Living in Arizona, I cannot stress the importance of protecting your skin from the harmful effects of UV rays. As much as I love a nice bronzed glow, sun exposure can wreak havoc on our skin. Self tanners and bronzers have come a long way and don’t turn you Oompa Loompa orange, unless you’re Donald Trump. The stand alone sunscreen I use is Obagi Matte Sun Shield Broad Spectrum 50 spf. What I love about this particular sunscreen is that it goes on very sheer, isn’t overly thick and dries to a matte finish. My makeup glides on effortlessly without feeling heavy or sticky.
4. MOISTURIZE. Despite having very oily skin, the oil I generate is not a substitute for proper hydration with a necessary moisture barrier. I use a light weight day moisturizer under my make-up and a heavier face cream for my nighttime moisture replenishment. I alternate between Exuviance Sheer Refining Fluid (SPF 35) and Exuviance Age Less Everyday (for dry or sensitive skin). When I really want my skin to feel extra soft, I reach for YSL’s Temps Majeur Intense Skin Supplement. This moisturizer is a bit of a splurge, but the benefits are immeasurable. This glides on your skin, smoothing out fine lines and immediately making it feel like silk. My nighttime cream is the legendary, Creme De La Mer. Intensely rich and thick, it literally feels like the moisture is getting pumped into my skin. In addition, if I happen to get more sun exposure than anticipated, it soothes my skin instantaneously. Now, the only caveat is the time it takes to warm up the cream in your hands/fingertips. This miracle cream is exactly that: a miracle in a jar. It’s no wonder Creme De La Mer has a legendary following!
5. EXFOLIATION/CLEANSING. I never go to sleep without washing off the day’s dirt and grime off my face. This is one of my cardinal beauty rules I have lived by since I was in my teens. At the end of the day, your skin needs to be able to breathe and given the opportunity to regenerate during sleep. If your face is still covered in the day’s makeup, you are adding stress to your precious skin and hindering the regenerative process of cell turnover. I have to admit, there are times I don’t want to wash my face because my makeup is just too on-point, but ladies (and men too!), it must be done. I have always been a fan of cleansing bars and I have tried several over the years. First I start with Erno Laszlo’s detoxifying cleansing oil, followed by Erno Laszlo’s deep cleansing sea mud bar. Occasionally, I’ll use COR’s silver cleansing soap to switch things up. Erno Laszlo’s cleansing bar is the powerhouse of cleansers and detoxes your skin, leaving it feeling soft and ultra smooth. The COR silver bar is antibacterial and is also a one step cleansing product. I’m all about keeping it simple. Upon waking, I immediately splash cold water on my face. I don’t wash it. This may shock some of you, but I prefer to forego washing my face with a cleanser in the morning. I simply splash cold water on my face not only to wake up, but to depuff and tighten my skin. Cold water works wonders.
This is my basic routine, however, I’m always modifying my regimen depending on the condition of my skin. Great skin begins from the ground up and it starts with a consistent skincare routine. Consistency is key!
Define yourself by being yourself. Thanks for reading….xoxo